Barrio de Analco Historic District

Santa Fe County New Mexico

SFT photo

Photo by Terry Tiedeman

Roughly bounded by E. De Vargas Street and Old Santa Fe Trail (formerly known as College Street) and the Santa Fe River. The Barrio includes the San Miguel Chapel, the "Oldest House", the Roque Tudesqui House which is a Historic Santa Fe Foundation property. (Tudesqui was a trader on the Trail and owned many properties and business interests) and the Gregorio Crespin House (built in the 1700's). Benito Roybal was one of several owners who served in the Santa Fe militia in the mid 1860's and therefore had Trail connections. Both houses are private residences. Santa Fe River State Park, which runs along Alameda Street at the SE corner of Old Santa Fe Trail, is where Santa Fe Trail traders camped. Photograph shows some of the many former homes in the Barrio de Analco which now house restaurants, shops, and galleries.

National Historic Landmark. Barrio de Analco dates before the recolonization of New Mexico by the Spanish that followed the 1680 Great Pueblo Revolt. It was originally settled by Tlaxcalan Indian slaves brought by the Spanish from Mexico. A working class neighborhood of Spanish Colonial design, the Barrio is characterized by adobe brick, flat-roofed, pueblo-style buildings found throughout the region.

Location Information

Contact Information