Santa Fe Historic District
Santa Fe County New Mexico
Roughly bounded by Camino Cabra, Camino de las Animas, W. Manhattan Ave., S. St. Francis Drive and Griffin Street in downtown Santa Fe. Includes Santa Fe Plaza (containing Soldier's Monument, Kearny Monument and End of the Trail Monument), St. Francis Cathedral, Loretto Chapel, Palace of the Governors, Ft. Marcy & Officers' Residence, La Fonda Hotel, Sena, Prince & Trujillo Plazas, Felipe Delgado House*, Pinckney R. Tully House*, El Zaguan* (James Johnson House), Santuario de Guadalupe, Cristo Rey Church, Padre Gallegos House, Federal Building & Kit Carson Monument, and the Abraham Staab House (now La Posada). *Historic Santa Fe Foundation properties
Oldest capital city in the U.S. founded in 1610 as site of the second provisional capital for the northern frontier of the Viceroyalty of New Spain (Mexico). The original settlement here consisted of low adobe buildings creating a defensive wall ringing the main Plaza. The modest End of the Trail Monument is on the SE corner of the Plaza.