Plaza and Soldier's Monument

Santa Fe, New Mexico

SFT photo

Photo by Michael E. Pitel

The Plaza is the center of Santa Fe and has continued to be the social and commercial center of Santa Fe since 1607. The Soldiers' Monument, a 33' column, in the center of the Plaza was dedicated in 1867. It honors Union soldiers who died at the Battle of Glorieta in 1862 on the Santa Fe Trail. Another inscription honors pioneers (including many Trail travelers) who died in battles with hostile Indians. The modest End of the Trail Monument at the SE corner signals the completion of the journey. The General Kearny Monument is a small stone monument on the Plaza across from the Palace of the Governors.

Certified Site of the Santa Fe National Historic Trail, it is one of the oldest historic sites in America. The early Santa Fe Trail merchants sold their wares in the open Plaza but soon rented space for stores in the surrounding adobe buildings. It is a National Historic Landmark and located in the Santa Fe Historic District.

    Location Information

  • View the Google Map for this site (lat-long decimal degrees, NAD27) 35.68747-105.93870
  • Contact Information

  • Santa Fe Convention & Visitor's Bureau
  • PO Box 909
  • Santa Fe, NM 87504
  • 505-984-6760
  • 800-777-2489
  • Fax: 505-984-6679
  • santafe@santafe.org
  • www.santafe.org