St. Francis Cathedral
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Designed by Archbishop Jean Baptiste Lamy in the Romanesque style. Open daily to the public. The cathedral, begun in 1869, was dedicated in 1884. It replaced a humble parish church dating from 1714. The twin steeples were never finished. The Archdiocese of Santa Fe Museum at 223 Cathedral Place displays historical documents and chalices that belonged to Lamy and other bishops. Photograph was taken during Indian Market on the Plaza with the Cathedral in the background.
Stone was quarried and hauled for 15 years in order to complete the building. Its stained glass windows were imported from France. It is the first example of French Romanesque architecture in Santa Fe. Built on the site of "La Parroquia", the adobe parish church was built in 1717 by the Spanish colonists who reoccupied Santa Fe. The cathedral houses the oldest Madonna in the U.S., Our Lady of Peace, brought to New Mexico in 1675. Located in the Santa Fe Historic District.
- View the Google Map for this site (lat-long decimal degrees, NAD27) 35.68600 -105.93600
- St. Francis Cathedral Rectory
- 213 Cathedral Place
- Santa Fe, NM 87501
- Phone: (505)983-3811