San Miguel Mission
San Miguel County New Mexico
Built in 1626, the oldest mission in the United States dates from Santa Fe's founding to serve Mexican Indians conscripted by Spaniards as soldiers and servants. The Christian Brothers were brought over the Trail by Santa Fe Archbishop Jean Baptiste Lamy to start a school for boys and manage the chapel. Destroyed during the Pueblo Revolt of 1680, it was rebuilt in 1710. Open 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM most days. Mass held on Sundays at 5:00 PM.
Example of Spanish style churches built after the Pueblo Revolt, using high windows and thick walls for protection. Used for Mass for St. Michael's High School and College when they were located next door. Most prominent edifice of the Barrio de Analco Historic District.