Fort Marcy's Officers' Residence
Santa Fe, New Mexico
In 1920, Dr. Edgar L. Hewitt, Director of the Museum of New Mexico, purchased the house and lived there until his death (1946). It has been known as the Edgar Lee Hewitt House since then. An historic plaque is in the front yard. Offices of the Museum of New Mexico now occupy the building. In Santa Fe Historic District.
Built in 1870 as part of the Fort Marcy compound, it was one of 7 officers' quarters built along Lincoln and Grant Avenues. Five were demolished when Fort Marcy was abandoned in 1894. It is a two-story adobe (which is quite rare) and has been remodeled many times over the years. Fort Marcy was the first US military post in New Mexico territory.