Federal Building/WPA Project
Santa Fe, New Mexico
The three-story Greek Revival style courthouse was built of rough stone quarried in Hyde Park near Santa Fe. Building began in 1853 to be 1st Territorial Capitol. Due to lack of funds, it was appropriated by the U.S. Congress. It took 30 years to complete and since then has been the Federal Courthouse. The Kit Carson M (see photo; on left) stands at the foot of the front steps.
Six large murals by William P. Henderson were funded by the WPA Project and installed in 1938 and can be viewed in the lobby. One mural is of the Old Santa Fe Trail. It shows a wagon train from Missouri approaching Santa Fe through the eastern hills.