St. James Hotel

Cimarron, New Mexico

SFT photo

Photo by Michael E. Pitel

Two-story adobe structure which was the scene of several Wild West killings. During restoration completed in 1985, early guest registers were discovered, so it's known who stayed in which rooms. Today, the rooms, some with original furniture, are named after the famous/infamous people who once stayed in them.

Built in 1873 originally as a saloon by French immigrant Henri Lambert, a former White House chef for General Grant and President Lincoln, it operated for awhile as the Don Diego Tavern and once a hangout for outlaws like the notorious Clay Allison. Buffalo Bill planned his first Wild West Show here and celebrated several Christmases at the hotel.

Location Information

View the Google Map for this site (lat-long decimal degrees, NAD27) 36.50484 -104.91992

Contact Information