Douglas-Sixth Street Historic District

Las Vegas, New Mexico

SFT photo

Photo by Las Vegas/San Miguel Chamber of Commerce

With the arrival of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad (A.T.S.& F.) in 1879, Las Vegas enjoyed economic prosperity and growth. By 1882, the new commercial district centered on Douglas Ave. and Sixth Street was thriving. By 1900, the district boasted some of the finest Victorian commercial buildings in New Mexico.