La Cueva Flour Mill

Mora County New Mexico

SFT photo

Photo by Mark Nohl

The ruins of the mill, built in 1860, harken back to the days when the hamlet provided flour for Santa Fe Trail traffic. Cueva is the Spanish word for cave. The caves here extend 30 yards into the cliff.

Shortly after Ft. Union was established in 1851, Vicente Romero established a ranch at La Cueva to grow grain and forage for the new post. His mill, using machinery freighted over the Santa Fe Trail, supplied a huge quantity of flour to Fort Union, from which it was distributed to other military outposts in the Southwest. The mill was used until 1949. The flour mill is in La Cueva Historic District.