Our Lady Of Sorrows Church

San Miguel County New Mexico

SFT photo

Photo by Michael E. Pitel

1 block W of La Plaza Vieja (Old Town Plaza) stands this towering stone-block Catholic church and campo santo, (Spanish-"graveyard").

Built in 1862-70, it was the largest stone building in New Mexico when completed. A folk expression of Gothic Revival Architecture influenced by Santa Fe's Archbishop Jean Baptiste Lamy. Home to a century-old pipe organ played each Sunday that was transported by wagon on the Santa Fe Trail. Call (505) 454-1469. Churchgoers once watched SFT caravans enter/leave Las Vegas during the trail's final two decades. Walking distance from La Plaza Vieja.