Glorieta Pass Battlefield (Pigeon's Ranch)
Santa Fe County New Mexico
This adobe building is all that remains of Alexander Valle's 18-room stage station complex. Built before 1860, it anchored the center of the Union lines during the Battle of Glorieta Pass when it was the focal point of the Texas Confederate assault (1862). It served as the Union and Confederate field hospital. The SFT lies beneath NM 50. Glorieta Pass Battlefield is a National Historic Landmark.
The pitched-roof adobe building within 2' of the N guide rail on NM 50, on the NE bank of Glorieta Creek, contains the remains of a stone corral on W. Several low mounds delineate its W & E out buildings. 100' high Sharpshooter's Ridge begins 100' NW. Picture shows Pigeon's Ranch (in the distance, right center) and NM 50 (Scenic Byway) from Confederate positions (artillery).