Watrous Store and Home

Mora County New Mexico

SFT photo

Photo by Michael E. Pitel

A white adobe structure shaped in a quadrangle, the store and home opened by Samuel Watrous in 1849 is the headquarters of the 5,000-acre Doolittle Ranch. The black willow trees that line both sides of the road out front were reputedly hauled as seedlings across the SFT by Watrous from his native VT. On private property (no trespassing) it can be seen from the Scenic Byway.

The Watrous home was constructed along the Santa Fe Trail in 1849. Samuel Watrous became a freighter on the Santa Fe Trail and from his ranches supplied beef to Fort Union.

Location Information