San Miguel Del Vado Historic District
San Miguel County New Mexico
Settled in 1794, San Miguel del Vado retains its rectangular plaza, ringed by adobe homes and adobe ruins. Its fortress-like church, built in 1805, still celebrates Mass every Sunday and faces the dirt road to the SFT river ford. Photograph shows the Santa Fe Trail approach from the Pecos River to the Plaza.
First Spanish community encountered by westbound William Becknell party (under escort) and other early, SF-bound trail traffic. An early customs house and SFT campsite, the community has a church bell that was cast in 1861 and carried across the SFT. Traces of the SFT river ford can also be seen.